The steps to protect yourself from COVID-19 are generally the same as those for flu prevention:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick, restricting activities outside your home, except for seeking medical care.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a household cleaning spray or wipes.
If you have respiratory symptoms such as coughing or difficulty breathing, call ahead to your healthcare provider so they can take precautions to avoid the potential spread of germs during your appointment. If you develop life-threatening conditions such as severe shortness of breath, changes in mental status, severe dehydration, or other complications, contact 911 immediately.